Jan 13, 2009

Koha breakthrough--I think...

So, I think I've figured out how to get the item type information to show correctly when searching--except for one record! Is it possible that one record could be corrupt?

Starting at the beginning, Koha has a MARC Check in the Parameters menu, and when I ran it, it gave me the error:
ALL item fields must:
*be mapped to same tag
*all be in (10) tab

I played with a few things relating to the 952 tag and(10 tab) that actually gave me more errors. I finally realized that the "ALL" meant all of the "item.____" Koha fields needed to be linked/mapped to a MARC field. One can see how these two different sets are linked in the "Links Koha-MARC DB". I went through and linked all of the "item.___" fields with MARC 952 subfields, even though many of the field/subfield titles don't really correspond/make sense between Koha & MARC. I just wanted to see if it would work--and it did! The MARC Check did not find any errors.

So, the item type info needs to be in only one MARC field (we have it in 952) and this field needs to reside in the (10) tab which is also the "Item" tab when editing. Also, "item.itemnumber" needs to be set to "ignore" (it is linked to MARC 952u).

I used the public display to search for records for each item type. There were still some items that displayed the wrong item type (even though they were sorted with the correct item type) and some items that displayed no info (even though they were sorted with the correct item type). It seems that the system is sorting using the 942 "item type" field, but that the display information is coming from 952 subfield c. I was able to fix the display for the items that did not display item type information when searching by selecting the appropriate item type in 952c.

I wonder if "item count" and "location" are also affected in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment